Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Then and Now: Part 1

Then:
Yh, those were the days. I was captain of the Junior team in the 6th standard at my boarding school. We were bowling for the trophy, as in I was bowling the last over for the trophy. The opposite team needed 5 runs, with 4 wickets remaining.
Ball1: Wide
Ball2: Wide
Ball3: Caught back by the bowler.
Ball4: Wicket. Caught in the slips
Ball5: Wide. Run out while trying to steal a single.
Ball6: Single.
Ball7: Wide.The match was over. Apparently!
It was 1998. Then, a four off a wide delivery was declared as four runs and not five as it is now. The scorer had made a mistake and given it as five. The match stood tied with three balls remaining. Those three balls were to be held the next day.
The next day we had a science test (and we all were serious about studying, at least I was). The morning, I missed my prep time (study time) and practised for those three balls.
After lunch, we went for the match.
Ball7: Missed outside the off stump. Collected by keeper.
Ball8: Missed outside the off stump. Collected by keeper.
Ball9: Missed outside the off stump. Collected by keeper. Run out.
Yh, so we won by the rule of wickets. I was picked up like I had just won my team the world cup. The match took away my interest in cricket. I did not want to hear the name of the game. I never played serious cricket after that.
That was then.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ummm Why exactly did it take away your interest in cricket instead of enhancing it?

--nachiket

Siddhesh Mehra said...

coz i was tired takin criticism of the wides after the first day.. n then exhausted after we finished the game finally

Anonymous said...

hehe acha jazbaati ho gaye aap